Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chapter 61...Repairing A Shipping Container

Off Grid... Chapter 61

It is really cold outside right now. Wacky weather. Niki and I just got back in from trying to make friends with the calves. It's a very slow process. One came up to the fence but stayed about 5 feet away. Oh well, we'll keep trying. Anyway, it has been a very interesting week and we got a variety of things done.

Today was not a good day because the rain is back. Yuk. It's a good thing we did all the mowing at the other property yesterday. We decided to take a ride to kill some time. First we drove to David's and I looked at some pressure canners. Wow, I had no idea they were so expensive and David has a good price on them. It's times like this I wish I "grew up" country. Then I could get some hand me downs.

After David's we stopped at Jimmy's to pay him for moving our shipping container last week. We stayed for awhile and talked because with the rain no one is working outside.

Yeah. It is a beautiful day today. We need to finish the roof on the shipping container. First thing Mike does is go up top, get on top of the building and he sweeps the water off the building. We can't work on it until it is dry.

After it dries we start working. Mike starts out by grinding the rust spots, and there are a lot of rust spots. Then he blows it off using the electric yard blower, and then he can spray on the rust restorer.

Here is Mike using the blower.

The top of this building is a disaster.

But at least we have the view from on top of the container.

Here I am scraping the rust, along with some knuckles, off the building.

Mike is doing more grinding. Oh what a messy and dusty job. He started out using a mask unfortunately it didn't help too much. Too many small rust/metal particles in the air.

While Mike finishes working on the roof I finish scraping off the numbers and decals that were on the side of the building. I have no idea how we are going to make this thing look good. Mike is done with all the prepping on the roof. Next we get to roll/paint on the elastomeric roof coating.

Mike starts out the day by mixing the 5 gallon bucket of elastomeric for the roof. He can't get all the clumps out with our mixer. We bought this coating from Lowe's last week but we think maybe they let it freeze at one point because we can't get it smooth. We have no choice and not enough time to run to town to exchange it. Rain is supposed to come in later and Mike wants to get this job done while the roof is already prepped.

Mike starts out rolling the coating on the roof.


While Mike works on the one end of the building I help out by using a brush and painting in some of the ends and curves.

Blinded by the white light. Hey it's kind of like our landing pad on our roof, lol.

Finally the roof, which is very important, is done. Now it is protected and there will be no leaks. We beat the rain and it should have enough time to dry before any rain comes in. After we clean the roller and the brush we decide to make the last, yes the last 2 concrete piers. Woo hoo.

For the last job of the day I grab a can of spray paint and finish spraying the fronts of the T-posts.

Thankfully we didn't get much rain last night so once again it's time to go over to mow the other property. It only took us about 2 1/2 hours this time. Woo hoo we are finally looking good.

Later on Mike helped me build my first garden box. I am so excited.

Mike talked to Jimmy about coming over to move our other shipping container in place. If the weather holds out he will be here on Monday.

Mike has to get ready for the big solar move. He spray painted the new metal brackets that we bought.

I left Mike and went into town to buy plants and seeds for my garden. I talked to "everyone" at the garden center. I was there for over 2 hours. I had to call Mike just to tell him I was ok, lol. I think I might have bought too many plants but I am just so excited to finally be doing a veggie garden. I've wanted one for about 10 years and other things always seemed to come up.

When I got home Mike was meeting with Jim who is the on site concrete man. He has to talk to his partner but he thinks they may be able to do our concrete work next week. Woo hoo. That would be so awesome. If we could get that done Mike and I could really get some work done. Jim will let us know on Monday when they can make it out here. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It looks like things might finally be moving in the forward direction. Mike told me we have to take the satellite dish off the ground mount and put it on the pole. He wants to put it on the old pole that used to have our small wind generator on it. At least that one is cemented in the ground so my dish shouldn't move around.

Here is Mike unhooking the satellite dish.

Now we have to add a spacer to the pole because the pole is just a little smaller than the satellite mount. Mike is wrapping leftover vinyl around the pole and taping it to make it thicker.

Next he clamps the first part of the satellite mount and clamps it down.

We are done. The satellite dish is off the ground and mounted to the pole.

Today we drove into town to go to the annual Home and Remodeling show. This is the same show last year where we met our concrete crew and the spray foam insulation contractor. I can't believe it has almost been a year since we broke ground on our property. This time last year the County had us scheduled to install our culvert. We couldn't even get a truck across the old bridge last year. Boy have we come a long way.

When we got home Mike painted some more smaller brackets for his solar mounts. Then he found our old concrete frog and spray painted him green. We've had this frog forever and he has been all over the country with us. Mike re sprays him every couple of years. He will soon be sitting on our front patio. Woo hoo.

Well I hate to say it but it rained all night and most of the morning. It is also very cold out. This has been an absolutely crazy year for weather. I did go up top with Mike to cover my garden against the cold weather tonight. It supposed to get down into the 30's.

That is the the end of our week in the Mike and Lisa world. I hope you all enjoyed the story.  If all goes well we will have a crazy and busy week. Yay!!!!



  1. I sometimes wonder what you all do to relax. You seem to be working all the time. :)

    1. Working in our own world makes us very happy:) We don't really know how to relax, lol.