Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Adding New Beds And Storage To Our Class B Motorhome

Mike and I are at it again.  We are getting ready to start traveling again and our motorhome needs some changes.  Our sofa/bed in the motorhome is not very comfortable so we decided to take it out and build our own.

Mike has an idea about making some big storage boxes and setting memory foam mattresses on top. He found 27 inch wide mattresses online so now the building begins.

Here is the original picture of our van long before any changes were made and we have made a lot, lol:

Working from the back doors we took out the sofa.which has always been removable, and disconnected the wires.  Mike also took out the carpet and the boxes that cover our rv wiring and the house battery:

The lovely carpet:

Our new carpet:

We laid the old carpet on top of the back of the new carpet and traced it.  Mike starts cutting it out:

While he does that I cleaned and vacuumed the back area of the van.  Next we put the new carpet inside:

We tucked the side edges under the walls and screwed the carpet in by the doors using the old bar.

Now it's time to make the boxes.  We still want to be able to use the van as a cargo van when we need it so we are going to build 4 separate boxes.  The two longs ones will be removable.  We start with the first box that will be installed over the wiring and wheel sell on the driver's side.  Mike takes the measurements and cuts the wood.  We used 1/2 inch plywood and many 2x2s.  The boxes will be the same height as the old wheel well covers but they will be 3 inches wider for our new mattresses.  After the wood is cut and the 2x2s screw in we have to add the carpet to the sides.  We went back and forth on this idea.  We could have painted the wood but we didn't think it would looks as nice.  We decided to carpet the sides just like Mike's days of doing custom work on cars back in the 70's.  So a little retro look.  Mike sprays the adhesive onto the outside of the box:

We put the box on top of the table and wrap the carpet around.  We used staples where we rolled it over the top of the box:

Adding the box and brackets to keep it stable:

After it is stable Mike cuts out the wood for the top of it and adds one hole for a finger grab.  Now for the hard part.  Mike has to spend a lot of time getting the electrical hooked back up.  He did a great job:)

Now for the next box.  Mike has to undo the wiring here:

We do the same thing for this box:

Nice….two down and two to go.  These two boxes are screwed in and also have brackets to hold them in place:

Building the frame for the first big box.  The one on the driver's side is 1 inch bigger because of the kitchen cabinets.  This one will be 27"x45" and will give us so much storage.   We actually have it backwards here but we are checking the fit.  The 3 braces will be on the back side since there won't be plywood on the back:

Mike adds the plywood to the box:

While I cut the carpet out:

We make the next box and set it inside…I am so excited to see it finished:

Everything fits so it's time to carpet the sides:

First box in and Mike adds and checks the top:

We get the last box carpeted and set in place.  Then I run to get the mattress.  THis is what we have been waiting for:

It is so much more comfortable than our old bed.  They are comfortable to sleep on and just wide enough for Mike and I to take a nap together, lol.  And look at the storage:

We had to make an "L" cut out in the new mattress and cover for it to fit around the "bathroom" wall area.  I was nervous about this as I was the one that had to sew it back together again.  Mike and I used a sharp razor to cut through the 4" memory foam and I did the best I could with needle and thread to sew the cover back together.  It may not be the prettiest, lol, but no one will ever see it.:)

View from the back of the van:

And looking toward the back:

The van looks so long now:

As a final add on we decided to add some backrests to the beds so it they will be more comfortable.  We had some extra counter height stools and Mike took them apart and cut them down.  Then he screwed them to the back of our boxes:

THey may look a little odd but they work very well and hold our pillows in.

Mike also changed out the macerator pump and now is working on the bathroom faucet and moving our sewer and water lines.  He is making it easier to use and adding the switch for the macerator pump to the inside of the van.  He is going to use the "old" bed switch for that.

It's going to be like new…and we are very excited to start rving again.  We have some big plans this year:)

That is our latest…I will have to do some back stories to get caught up before we hit the road again.