Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bread in a Crockpot

Crockpot Bread

Wow...who knew this could be done. This is a great idea for the summer when you want some homemade bread but not the heat from the oven. It is very easy and no rising time is involved


This is what I did:
1 cup warm water
1 Tbl. sugar or honey...I used honey
1 Tbl. yeast

I mix all of that together with a whisk in a big bowl and let it rest about 10 minutes.


1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 Tbl. oil....I used olive oil.
1 tsp. salt


(You can omit this)
I also added 4 tsp. vital wheat gluten, next time I will not use that, and 2 Tbl. ground flaxseed


Mix the dry ingredients with the wet until it is workable. Then knead the dough 4-5 minutes using extra flour as needed so it is not too sticky.


Get the crockpot ready:
I used an oval crockpot.
Crumple up some foil into little balls or use a trivet or canning jar rings to sit in the bottom of your crockpot.
Add 1 cup of water to your crockpot.
Grease a bowl or bread pan that will fit inside your crockpot and on top of the crumpled foil.
Add the dough to the greased bowl or pan you are using.
Take a piece of oiled foil and make a loose tent over your dough. This keeps the moisture off your bread.

Put it all into the crockpot and cover. Turn on high and cook for 3-3/12 hours.



It does not rise like regular bread but I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Next time I am going to try a "round" French loaf.


Some pictures of my bread:

The pyrex bowl that I used to cook the bread in.



Out of the bowl.


My round loaf of bread and a few slices


Iy was surprisingly good but a little dense.   I would try it again if I wanted to bake bread during the summer.  Next time I would like to try a round French Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment