Thursday, June 20, 2013

Granola....Your Way, My Way, Any Way

Granola is a great recipe for snacking and eating a healthy snack...well depending on the ingredients you choose and the quantities you eat, lol.  It is a very versatile recipe to suit anyones tastes.  Here is the recipe I made today and a follow up of how to make it your own:)  Enjoy!!


A basic granola recipe has rolled oats, nuts and/or seeds, sweetener of choice, a little oil for binding & adding crunch and dried fruit.


For this recipe I used:
5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup mixed walnuts and almonds coarsely chopped
1 ts. cinnamon
2 Tbl. Splenda brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup local honey
1/4 cup homemade unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup dired fruit...I used cranberries and prunes....hey it's what I had:)




Mix all of the dry ingredients except for the dried fruit in a bowl.


Mix the wet ingredients in a saucepan and heat up until mixed.  You don't really need to warm it unless you use peanut butter.


Pour over the dry ingredients and mix it well.



Spread the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes.  Flip the granola over using a spatula every ten minutes or so.



Once it is done.  Add the dried fruit.  (You would also add any chocolate chips or coconut at this time.)


Let it cool and store in a covered container.  I use peanut butter jars.. We eat lots of peanut butter and they have great screw on lids:)  This can be stored on the counter for a week or so, in the fridge or in the freezer for longer.  




Here is how you make it your own:)

Use a total of 5-6 cups rolled oats, oat bran, and/or wheat germ.

Add seeds or nuts equaling about 1 cup but it is your choice.  I use less to keep the calorie count down.

Cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla for seasoning.

A total of 3/4-1 cup cup wet ingredients....can be pumpkin, applesauce, peanut butter, honey, maple syrup, and a little oil to make it crunchy.(I usually don't use oil.  This was my first time and I only used 1/4 cup.  I couldn't tell the difference and I won't be using it again.)

Any dried fruit, chocolate chips, and/or coconut which can be added after the granola is baked.



Another link to make your own.  I like this one because there is no oil in it:)
No Oil Granola


I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.  This can be used as a cereal, served with yogurt or even just snacking on.  That tends to lead me into trouble so I try to portion it out in smaller quantities other wise I will snack on the whole thing.


The combinations are endless.  I may try an Almond Joy Granola next:)

2 comments: