Thursday, November 29, 2018

January 2018...Taking a Walk, Planting Grass Seed and Putting Shingles on the Roof


Hello all.  I hope all of my followers had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  This is what Mike and I did last January.  I need to get caught up before 2018 is over, lol.



I love the trees and fields at the back of our property...and it is flat:)


Open area:


And:



OK...time for some work.   Mike is digging out some of the sand that is too high along the house so we can seed:



It's ready for seed:


And hay.  We can't find straw here but there is a ton of hay around:



Mike building a quick ramp out of leftover pressure treated wood to make it easy to go in and out of the "barn":



Almost finished:



Mike adds a dozen or so a day of truss clips on the inside of the barn as required:



Ugh...it's time for the uglies.  Her are our shingles:



The tractor is going to make this so much easier:



I'm on the roof.  Mike throws the shingle packs up to me and I spread them out on the roof:


Getting ready to start the first row:



Moving right along.  We have our system.  Mike nails the shingles down using a roofing coil gun while I line the shingles up:



Halfway there:


Sadly I have been slacking in the camera department.  As I look back I cannot find a picture of the other side completed.  Anyway it took us 3 days to shingle the entire roof.


Our lovely barn/workshop inside.  Mike is working on a well house and this is the cover:



More seed and hay where the electric company left their mess.  I wish I could bill them, lol.



Working on the drip edge on the peak:


And the sides:



Mike's new well house:




Other peak.  I hate being on a ladder that high.  I'm glad Mike has good balance:



Murphy's Law....put seed down and the turkeys will come, lol.



I love winters in Florida:):)

That's all for now.  I will try and catch everyone up and get to our animals soon which is just fun.:)

22 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting more pictures up, I love looking at them. The place is coming along just great. You guys do good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I've been waiting patiently :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is crazy good. I'm glad you stopped by:)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a nice piece of property. Must be easier working and mowing it than your mountain home. How many acres is it this time? Have you built the main house yet?
    Thanks for the update,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mike is very happy about mowing here. It's a flat 10 acres. Just about perfect although I did not love the summer heat. We are in the house. Not too much more about building. Maybe 3-4 more stories then it is all about the animals, lol.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post. Last January???!!! LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to read about the latest adventures....even if they are a year old...LOL!! I had thought the "barn" was going to be the house...LOL!! Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...it did turn into the house and we built a barn and added another building:)

      Delete
  6. Hope to see a new post soon. Really enjoy your little homestead building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy
      We are doing well. I hope you are doing ok and staying safe at this time. I plan to revive the blog during this time. I will start posting again this week:)

      Delete
  7. curious as to your status hope everythings ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing well. Thank you. I hope all is ok with you. Stay safe and I will start posting again this week.

      Delete

    2. We are doing well. I hope you are doing ok and staying safe at this time. I plan to revive the blog during this time. I will start posting again this week:)

      Delete
  8. Just got confused...you call this the "house", but you also call it the ""Barn"", so I'm not sure what this building is going to be?
    It has been far to long since we last heard from you guys....and I hope and pray that all is well with you both.

    Bill aka PapPappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We qualified for the agricultural exemption and build. We applied for permits with a barn and office/living quarters. We later turned the barn/building into our house and built new barns:) Hope that helps.

      Delete
  9. Hi Nancy...we are doing well. Hope everything is ok with you during this crazy time. I plan on reviving the blog during this downtime. Take care of yourself and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been offline for quite a while. I came back looking for updates. Will be good to read any new posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be starting new posts this Thursday. I will post Monday-Friday until I am caught up:)

      Delete